WAP Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

ReasonforHope - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* ReasonforHope > Topics

Subject: General Q and A
Replies: 41 Views: 1446

n1ck 18.04.09 - 06:37pm
Got any general questions about Christianity that havent been answered before? Anything bugging you? Something you have been wondering about? Ask away! *

iilmadme 3.05.09 - 11:17pm
Is it important to know the OT inside out in order to understand the message in the NT? (i was in danger of hijacking paulster's topic with this so im askin here instead Lol) *

rozely 5.05.09 - 02:01pm
Why did God took the lives of the egyptian children.. And Jesus said the kingdom of heaven belong to the children? Why would God punish the children for tha faults of Pharo? *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 05:13pm
Two very good questions, thank you both very much. I am sorry I havent answered yet. Am on conference all week in Johannesburg and it has been more rigorous and tiring than I imagined it would be. If I can get an internet connection later when I am back at my flat, I will try my best to answer and I pray my answer will be acceptable to God. Thank you! hug.GIF *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 08:09pm
ok I am back. Unfortunately I cant get internet access so the cellphone will have to do. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 08:17pm
Q. Is it important to know the OT inside out in order to understand the NT?

A.
You dont HAVE to know the OT in order to understand the NT message, but a good knowledge of the OT does allow us to go deeper into the meaning of the New Testament, and it does make things a lot clearer. This is because there are many things in the old testament which are a ''shadow'' of the things revealed in the New Testament. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 08:24pm
For example, from the beginning of the old testament it becomes clear that God had a plan for man's salvation right from the start when Adam committed sin. This can be seen in Genesis 3:15, the first of about 120 prophecies concerning Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 08:34pm
Lets take a look at that prophecy:

Genesis 3:15 (God speaking to Satan)And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Explanation: the seed of the woman (pointing to Jesus, being born of a virgin woman - note no mention of being the seed of a man here) will bruise Satan's head (be victorious over Satan, sin and death), and Satan will bruise Jesus' heel (Satan will sting and attack Christ and His followers but wont overcome them). *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:01pm
Now as we know, Jesus did overcome Satan, sin and death when He was resurrected from the dead. Yes, victory over sin and death and Satan has already been won. So Jesus has bruised Satan's head, so to speak. As far as Satan bruising Christ's heel, one only has to look at the persecution of Christians today to realize that Satan is attacking Christ and His followers. The media does not broadcast this, but over 2000 Christians are martyrd every day in concentration camps and prisons in countries like Peru, Russia, China, Korea, Iran etc. And this is happening today. My friend's church has missionaries in China and the Middle East, and they e-mail on a regular basis about how people are being killed simply for confessing Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

Consider that persecution of Christians has decreased DRAMATICALLY since the days of ancient Rome in the first 6 centuries, when Christians were ripped apart by lions in the Colleseum for Rome's entertainment, and even as recently as the reformation in the 17th century. Christianity has been under attack since Christ ascended. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:13pm
So Genesis 3:15 has been fulfilled. Lets see what the New Testament says in confirmation of this:

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children (followers of Christ and those learning about Christ) are partakers of flesh and blood (have fleshly desires and temptations associated with being mortal), he (Jesus Christ) also Himself likewise took part of the same (became flesh and blood, a man); that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:17pm
Can you see how this New Testament verse proves that Jesus came to bruise Satan's head (defeat him / overcome him) ? *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:18pm
The same thing can be seen in 1 John 3:8. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:21pm
My point is that by realising and understanding that Jesus Christ and His mission on earth is prophesied and spoken of throughout the Old Testament, one can get a better understanding of who Christ is and why He came, and that God had a plan from the beginning that would save His people from death. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:23pm
Some other fascinating points: *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:41pm
In the Old Testament, a perfect animal without blemish would be sacrificed as payment for the sins of the people. Priests were the only people who were permitted to perform the sacrifices. But because it was an animal sacrifice, not a human or perfect sacrifice, it had to be repeated over and over, and the blood of the sacrificed animal served only as a symbolic ''covering'' of sin.

Compare that with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Jesus served as both our high priest (see Hebrews 10:21) and a perfect sacrifice, being without sin and innocent and holy. Because the sacrifice of Jesus was perfect, it was a once and for all sacrifice that does not need to be repeated for every time we sin (see Hebrews 10: 9-13). Being perfect and holy, the blood of Christ is not just a ''covering'' over sin, but cleanses sin away completely so that God remembers it no more. This is all what we call the second covenant. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:44pm
I sincerely recommend reading Hebrews chapters 9 and 10, which discusses in detail the meaning of the sacrifice of Christ in relation to old testament sacrifices. *

iilmadme 5.05.09 - 09:47pm
Thanks nick,i will look that up hug.GIF *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:51pm
Another interesting point:

In the Old Testament, when making sacrifices for the sins of the people, the priest would take 2 animals. He would lay his hands on the head of one, transferring symbolically the sins of the people to the animal, and the animal was then released out of the city gates to die in the wilderness, symbolically carrying away the sins of the people. The other animal was of course sacrificed for the symbolic blood covering of sins.

In comparison to that, Jesus was led out of the city gates of Jerusalem to the hill at Golgotha, symbolically carrying away the sins of the people. There Jesus was crucified, becoming the perfect blood sacrifice for the cleansing of sins and forgiveness of the people. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:53pm
Youre welcome iilmadme hug.GIF *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 09:58pm
Well I have really only touched briefly on just 3 ways that knowing the Old Testament can assist us to understand the true meaning of the New Testament, the history and the symbolism behind it all. There are literally thousands of ways that the Old Testament assists us to understand. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 10:01pm
Most people dont realise this, but the book of Revelation is written in Old Testament language and style. So most of the symbolism in Revelation (lampstands, Babylon, winds etc) comes from the Old Testament, because that is what the people of that day would have understood. Knowing that Old Testament history, background and symbolism will help us properly understand the Revelation. Another interesting point to note. *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 10:05pm
So there you have it. One can understand and grasp the message of the New Testament without a thorough knowledge of the Old Testament. But, knowing the Old Testament will help answer a lot of questions we may not understand, and give us a deeper understanding of the meaning and the whole picture. I hope I have been of assistance iilmadme smile.GIF *

n1ck 5.05.09 - 10:07pm
Rozely, I am sorry I wont have time to get to your question tonight. I will tackle your question tomorrow night, God willing. God bless you all. *

rozely 6.05.09 - 08:04am
Tnx Nick.. Im so glad ur helping me, i got a lot of qeustions,.. Its my way to learn more.. I love the egyptian story of Moses.. And Joseph the king of dreams... Jacob and the lather.. The new city Jerusalem.. New earth new heaven.. *

rozely 7.05.09 - 05:21am
Nick the bible tell us about all difrent heavens.. But a new earth? You cn read some of my crazy ideas on earth in my group.. And your welcome to help me nick.. God wil open the door 4 you to help me.. *

rozely 7.05.09 - 09:22pm
Okay... Inocent children.. Kings fauls... First born children.. Cz they didnt have the blood of the lam on there door posts.. Realy sad but true.. *

rozely 7.05.09 - 09:28pm
Wonder if there are any symbolic seacrets on this blood of the lamb? Rev talks alot about the lamb.. *

rozely 7.05.09 - 09:35pm
Okay next question.. Moses.. The isealates followd him thru the desert.. 40 years.. I was wondering about the bread of heaven and the birds God gave them to eat.. Did they eat the birds raw? Where did they got the wood in a desert of sand... 40 years each day... To feed a nation? *

rozely 7.05.09 - 09:38pm
Maybe the meat was cooked by lightning or something? Plz help me, plz plz.. What do you think? *

rozely 8.05.09 - 08:39pm
No answer? *

rozely 8.05.09 - 08:41pm
Next question.. Dont have my mesurement with me now.. But will post them if you need it *

rozely 8.05.09 - 08:43pm
The arc was as big as a rugby field and the door as big as a door of a house.. How did they get a elephant thru that door? *

rozely 8.05.09 - 08:51pm
Think about difrent tipes of cattel.. Dogs cats, snakes deer, insects, better idea do a search on all animals and think 4 ur self.. 2 of each.. Would they be able to fit in the arc? Where did they stoor the food? What did they feed the lion? Meat? Did they have a frige 4 meat? They couldnt feed the lion some of the animals.. 2 of each are extinct! *

rozely 8.05.09 - 08:56pm
Im also wondering about dinosaurs.. Did they exist before or after adam and eve? *

iilmadme 8.05.09 - 09:28pm
There's a dinosaur topic a few pages back that mite help u :) *

rozely 9.05.09 - 06:19am
Was Jesus Gods first an only born Son? *

rozely 9.05.09 - 06:31am
Tnx iilmad i cant get to that pg.. Tried but dont work.. If God created the earth after dinisour time... How could that be? Cz there was no earth be4 where did the dinos bones come from? If adam and eve was itelegent.. Where did the ppl of the caves from dinosor time came in to the story of adam and eve? I love mamoths.. Hairy elephants big as giants.. *

rozely 9.05.09 - 10:49am
No answers? Im gona cry! God plz help me to undrstand. Why is it so hard? I do not undrstand plz 4give me *

airwalkr 10.05.09 - 01:10am
lol no nick is just a busy guy at times. I guess I could start answering the questions I can remember you asking. starting with the ark, the door wasnt as big as a house door, In fact in gen 7:16, we can see that the Lord himself had to shut them in. So the door was easily big enough to accomadate the likes of a full grown elephant. But more than likely smaller younger versions of the big animals were present instead of teh full grown versions. *

airwalkr 10.05.09 - 01:38am
The Bible states that Noah took 2 of each kind.. while pit bulls and poodles are two different species of dog they are of the same kind. They are both in the same family. One could easily divide up the animal kingdom into about 50,000 different families. easily enough room to fit into the ark by its measurments. *

airwalkr 10.05.09 - 01:57am
Well moses did lead the isrealites through the wilderness, barren yes but not without a few resources. Remember they had made it as far as the Jordan river before they were ordered to wander for that time period. Consider the resources found by the river. also that they were nomadic and traveling. So im sure there was a fresh supply as they moved about. What there wasnt an abundance of was food however. *

airwalkr 10.05.09 - 02:07am
The timeline of evolution is slightly tainted. While thats what most were taught as true in school growing up now they are trying to enforce its only a theory once again. The problem is that there are questions that cannot be answered by what we observe today. Leaving a bunch of anomalies yet unaccounted for. Let alone simple questions that will never be answered. The truth is that in the 5 days before the creation of adam, dinosaurs were created. *

* ReasonforHope Forum

Search:
topics replies

* ReasonforHope

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits

Custom Search